2012 was by far my busiest year since finishing my undergrad at Waterloo. So busy that I’ve completely ignored this blog and didn’t get around to posting my 2011 in Review post.
- I attended the first wedding of a family member in my generation.
- I volunteered at a STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics) event for high school girls.
- My first close female friend got engaged.
- I was promoted to a Software Development Engineer II at work.
- I started doing bouldering (rock climbing) indoors.
- I attended the Grace Hopper Celebration for Women in Computing in Portland, Oregon.
I last opened the draft in December of 2011, so I’m going to assume this list is complete.
- I took my first trip back to Ontario since convocation in June of 2010.
- I went on my first trip not with a family member.
- I moved twice. The first move of the year was on about a week’s notice and within the same zip code. That sure confused my Canadian financial institutions.
- I signed the shortest lease I’ve signed since Waterloo: 5 months.
- I traveled out of state and on a plane to go play in a bonspiel to St. Paul, Minnesota.
- I went wine tasting in Napa Valley with some great friends from university.
- I played in Seattle’s 24-hour bonspiel, much to the dismay of my body’s desire for sleep.
- I attended my first bachelorette party.
- I saw the Titanic from the second row at the 5th Avenue Theatre, an amazing experience.
- I saw “A First Date” at the ACT Theatre downtown.
- I mentored an intern at work.
- I saw a film at the Seattle International Film Festival. It was a Norwegian curling film.
- I went to Montreal and Quebec City. Quebec City was amazing and I highly recommend checking it out, but it’s do-able in a few days. Just like in Europe, taking the train is pretty sweet.
- I signed the longest “lease” of my life: I bought a condo. It is in a different zip code than my other two addresses for the year.
- I went to my first concert: Campfire OK. I even bought some of their music.
- I went to my first midnight showing of a movie, The Dark Knight. I’m not sure I will do that one again.
- I attended the Celebration of Light* for the first time in many years. *Vancouver’s summer fireworks series
- I attended a funeral, driving through the beautiful Okanagan valley. I’m counting that as a trip since it was ~700 miles of driving.
- I attended the Grace Hopper Celebration for Women in Computing in Baltimore, MD with ~3600 other technical women. The aquarium was pretty cool too.
- I filed my first claim ever with car insurance. (No, I was not at fault.)
- I saw Wicked at the Paramount Theatre as part of the fundraising for Referendum 74 to support marriage equality in Washington State.
- I went to Texas. It and California reminded me that Seattle is not representative of the US.
- I went on 11 trips, excluding most of my trips to BC.
- I changed teams at work, moving from Kindle to AWS EC2.
Here’s to a less busy 2013!
- No moving.
- No moving.
- No moving.
Those three should about solve the problem. Oh, and enjoying some of my vacation days closer to home. Maybe I’ll post some photos from my trips. I might even write some blog posts.
Happy new year, everyone!